Friday, August 22, 2008

Languages...

I always fascinated by language. I don’t know why, but the first time I learn foreign language (English) is when I was in elementary school, probably 2nd grade. I was watching Sesame Street and since that day I love languages and eager to learn it. If it’s possible, I want to learn all the language in the world.

Right now I learn French, and it’s cool and fun, and confusing at the same time (j’aime apprendre français, mais difficile). I want to learn other Latin-root languages such as Spanish, Italian, and Portuguese. I also want to learn Turkish, Japanese, and any language that I able to learn.

But when my job require me to know more about my own language, I realise that I don’t know that much. And then I chat with my friends from other countries. They asked me about Indonesian language, and I have to open my school book to answer some of their questions.

As an Indonesian, we often take-it-for-granted Indonesian language. We forget about proper Indonesian, we don’t normally use it in conversation, even in formal conversation (which is fine for me).
I got A for English but C for Indonesian. Isn’t that ironic?

I’m an Indonesian in every inch of my blood (as far as I know) but yet I don’t know (and perhaps don’t care) much about my own language. While out there, some foreigners wanting to learn more about it. A chieftain of small ethnic in Alaska said once:

“Without land, without language, and without culture, there will be no native.”

Those words were haunting me. How can we call ourselves Indonesian native if we neglected our land, forgetting our language, and disrespect our culture?

I guess this is the right time to learn more about my own country and pay more respect to what we have as an Indonesian.

PS: but it doesn’t mean I’ll stop learning and using foreign languages. :D

No comments: